Tuesday, January 8, 2013

What Friends Are Really For... (and a photo of me!)


This winter has kept us very busy.

The holidays always seem to fly by once October hits! There are always a lot of fun things to do, and lots of people we love to see. There never can be enough time for that.

I LOVE my friends! Probably one of the words that many people have said to me, is that I'm loyal. (I use it to describe myself as well.) For me, becoming a friend, takes time. As I've mentioned in another post, it takes a long time to find people I call friends. This isn't a word I use casually, and neither should you. A friend, needs to be a friend. Through good times and bad. We should help carry each other's burdens and lighten the loads. Are you looking for new ones? Check out my post here to see how you can start!

Recently, a dear friend of mine, was diagnosed with cancer. Cancer sucks. There is nothing good that can be said about it. She had a quick surgery and is in the recovering stages. Thank the Lord! However, she found out that surgery wouldn't be the only part of her treatment. Like many, chemotherapy will also be a part of her recovery. (I don't particularly like that stuff either.) 

This past weekend, we spent some time together. Preparing as best as we could for her upcoming treatment. Unfortunately, what should be a fun place to go, the salon, was a dreaded place to go. She got a hair cut. A shorter, easier to manage one. It was tough. It really sucks to watch someone you love, have to go through all this. Knowing there really isn't much to can do to help. I'd take the treatment for her, if I could. 

After the hair cut, we went and looked at wigs. Someone needs to spice those shops up! It was eerily quiet and kind of depressing. I'm pretty sure, that most of the people who are going into that shop are probably looking for some temporary hair, due to cancer treatments. There is potentially a theatre major in there also looking for the right costume hair, but more probable is the first. It's a scary, sobering idea losing your hair. All of it. So, why make the store like a creepy crypt of hair? Make us feel welcome! Offer us a cushy seat-perhaps a beverage (or a shot of hard liquor!) to make our shopping more enjoyable. If you can do all this while trying on wedding and bridesmaid dresses, why can't we have some celebration about kicking some cancer ass? (Sorry about the word usage, but it's true?!) Why not make your store, a place of positivity, hope and happiness? 

I thought I'd take matters into my own hands. They do have hair for men there as well. Those were pretty interesting to look at. I've never really put much thought into man hair. But, after looking through all the blonds, red-heads and brunettes with highlights, I found a wig that I KNEW, when tried on by myself, would make my friend smile! 


Yep, almost ready!

Ta da! The transformation into a man, is complete!

When I put it on, she was laughing so hard, she couldn't even take a straight picture. Now, I think I make a rather Duck Dynasty-ish looking man, don't you?

I totally need to name my alter-ego.

But, I accomplished what I wanted to do. I wanted to make her smile. I wanted to make her laugh. I wanted to be the friend she needed me to be. I think she's sent the photo of us both off to many, many people and had several great laughs because of it, even after the day we did it. If she needs this is get through a day-then I'm so happy! I might make her a calendar of these.

By the way, this wig, because they all have names, was called The Jesus! When I saw it on the mannequin, I totally agreed with the name choice!

Let me finish this off with a toast to all our dear friends.

I just want to say, that if you're someone I call a friend, and in my life, I'm so thankful. I'm thankful for every day I've had to share and spend with you. I'm thankful for all the laughs we've had together. I'm thankful for the tears we've shed together, for we've never had to be alone. I'm thankful for the fact that you know me well enough, that when I say, "I'm just OK," you know the real meanings behind it, or you care enough to pull me aside to dig it out of me. I'm thankful for the care and concern. I'm thankful for all our fun. But, mostly, I'm just so thankful for you, that there aren't enough words to tell you! I get to spend our friendship showing you how much you mean. I love you!

Go show some love today!



"Carry each other's burdens..."
Galatians 6:2


Do you follow me on Facebook?
Do you follow me on Pinterest?
You should!

Leave a comment or some love!










Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!