Monday, January 7, 2013

Snow is Frozen Water: Learning with Winter



It's cold. 

Of course, I'm pretty sure in January, for most of us that live in the US, we know this. This is the longest I've seen snow on the ground here in the desert. I'm not from here, but the last few years I think it's all melted off relatively fast. Or, I could have just blocked it all out.

I am the type of person who actually likes snow though. If you read my post about Shoveling Snow (and then thought I was absolutely crazy), you'll know I enjoy snow. I don't particularly care for the cold, windy days. Also, I'm of Scandinavian descent. A Heritage I claim proudly. I can't help it if I'm more designed for cold weather. It's genetics!

OK, the learning lab--my son thinks the shovel is pretty cool in the snow. He can't quite operate it, though. He tries. Some day, too soon, he'll be a shovel wielding young man.

Until then, he's content to walk around in it and go sledding, and do other winter time, snow time activities.

Today, I thought he would like to learn what happens to snow, when it gets warm.

Obviously, it goes away eventually. But, I wanted him to actually see it.

What you'll need:
Snow
Clear Cup/Bowl
Mittens (It's snow and it's cold! Keep those hands warm!)

We took the clear glass outside and filled it to the brim with snow. I tried to pack the snow in tight.


After the snow was in clear cup, we brought it inside and began to watch it. (If you're expecting instant results, you'll have to do something with more heat to make it go quick.)

We just set ours on the window sill and every 20 minutes or so, checked back to see what was going on.

Slowly, it started to disappear!

When it melted down pretty far, I let him stick his hands in side and tell me what he felt.

I also asked him what he saw. He saw...Water!

I pointed outside and said, "So, snow, gets warm and turns into water. Which means, snow, is actually frozen water."


He thought that was pretty cool. I am not a scientist. But, it is still pretty cool and amazing to see how nature is so simple, yet beautiful and complex.

If you're looking for a reason to run outside quick with the kids, or just looking for a simple learning activity to help pass the time, this might fit both needs!


"All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made."
John 1:3 (KJV)


Do you follow me on Facebook?
Do you follow me on Pinterest?
You Should!


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!