Monday, December 3, 2012

1 Timothy 5:8 and Doing This in Secret


December is officially here. The 25 days to Christmas is in full swing. Movies, music and more, remind us of this awesome time! I honestly don't think I can come up with another season throughout the year that makes me feel the way I do, during this time.

I love walking through our mall watching all the shoppers. Looking at all the decorations and lights. Even the kids seem to be entranced by the lights on our tree. They seem to calm down a little easier at night when we have the lights all aglow, and music playing.

What a wonderful thing is it to have family. The family you give birth too, and the family that you make. I'm not sure there is anything more wonderful than this.

Over the weekend, I was reminded of this scripture:
"But if someone doesn't provide for their own family, and especially for a member of their household, they have denied faith. They are worse than those who have no faith."
                                  1 Timothy 5:8

Last year, a friend of ours was out of work. He had been out of work for quite a few months actually. We'd invite him over for dinners as often as we could, and try to send him home with left overs when ever possible.

As the holidays approached, I felt that we needed to do something more for him. He would never ask, or really say how bad things were getting for him. But, we also knew, that if came down to making his mortgage payment or eating, he'd choose the first.

I went to the grocery store and bought groceries for him (and his pet). Easy things like a lasagna, and Hungry Man Meals. I also bought items for him to make his own easy dinners. I'm not saying that he couldn't cook, but I didn't want to get him stuff to whip up quiches either. Meals like spaghetti, chicken and rice, hamburger helper. Things like that.

I wrapped it all up in the biggest box I could find, and early one morning, before Christmas, I headed over to his house.

I didn't want him to know it had come from us, and so I did a quick drive by, to make sure that either he wasn't home, or if he was home, he wasn't really around.

He was home, but thankfully, he wasn't around. I drove just down past his house, quickly got out with my box of groceries, and dropped on his door step and ran! I mean, I RAN like I STOLE something!!!

I think we tend to feel a little bit proud, about accepting help, at times. Truth is, I didn't want him to know it was from us, because I felt that if he knew, he would be reluctant to accept it. 

Also, it is just so fun to give! There is no better feeling in the world than giving. (I really feel this way.)

A few days later, our friend was by our house and he asked me if I had given him his "gift." I denied it. He asked me again a few other times and each time I'd just smile and say no. 

He did say it was one of the nicest things he'd ever received, and that was just awesome for me to hear!

When we get the chance to really be a blessing to someone else in life, you really get a high, that you'll never be able to compare with anything else in life. It's amazing! It's thrilling! It's something that you can easily get addicted to doing!

This holiday season, look out for all your family. Maybe there is someone, who is closer than you think to you, that could really use a little blessing.

Best wishes-and may you enjoy all the awesomeness that comes along with it!

"But when you give to charity, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, So that your deeds of charity may be in secret; and your Father Who sees in secret will reward you openly."
Matthew 6:3-4


Do you follow me on Facebook?
Do you follow me on Pinterest?
You Should!


Check out my other stories about giving!




I'd love to hear your comments and thoughts! It's always refreshing to know someone out there is reading, and possibly enjoying! Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!